Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ramona and the Red Shoes - 9

"Of course really!" said Ramona. "All you need is a boost of self-confidence."

"Dearest Ramona! May I call you dearest - -"

" - - every day! "

" - - dearest Ramona, can you help me? Can you give my self-confidence the boost it so desperately needs whenever I look into your eyes?"

Adrien tentatively reached out and took her hand.

"Why, I - - " Ramona began, then stopped short. A queer feeling was beginning in her toes and creeping insidiously through her veins.

What's wrong?" asked Adrien.

Ramona pulled her hand out of his.

"I can't!"

"Those are strange words, coming from you!"

"I can't boost your self-confidence. What are you doing? What am I doing? You're an actor! Are you making some kind of a game of me? Is this what you spoiled celebrities do for fun? Stop the car and let me out, I can't stand it!"

"Ramona, won't you at least tell me what's wrong?"

"Leave me alone!"

Ramona jerked the door open and got out of the car.

"Please come back!" said Adrien, but the sound of his voice was buried under the smack of the car door and the click of Ramona's drab, un-chic, un-fabulous little red flats.

Adrien slumped in his seat, dazed and confused.

"Oy vey." came a voice from the front seat. The taxi driver turned in his seat. "I knew it would never work."

No comments:

Post a Comment