Thursday, June 24, 2010

George and the Amazing Boomerang - 3

That day after school, George ransacked his room to find the mail-order catalogue.  On the dog-eared back page, he found a number in the corner so miniscule that you could barely see it, under the equally diminutive words “Customer Care”.  Squinting, he dialed the number, which rang for several minutes before being picked up.  A nervous female voice sounded on the other line.

“Marvelous Tricks & Gadgets Mail Order, this is Lucille.  How can I serve you today?”
“Yeah, I bought this ‘Amazing Boomerang’ and it’s a dud, I want a new one.”
There was a long pause, followed by a cough, a shuffle, and another long pause.
“Would you like to place an order?” said the voice, irrelevantly.
“No, my boomerang, I want a new one!”
“Please, I can’t hear you when you’re shouting like that….”
“I just want to send in my boomerang and get one that works right, this thing is busted!  Here’s the item number …”
“I know the item number.” Said Lucille, with a resigned sigh.
“I’m sorry, we don’t carry that item anymore.  It’s been discontinued.”
“Awwwww man…. You don’t have any?”
“No, I’m sorry we don’t.” Lucille’s voice was growing successively more squeaky with each sentence.
“Well all right, all right.  I’ll just send it back and get my money back.  I spent 3 weeks of allowance on the stupid thing.”
“Um … yes.  Yes, why don’t you do that.  Just send it to us, and we will refund the money when we receive it.”

George hung up the phone in disgust without even saying “Good-bye”.  “What a rip-off.” He thought, as he packaged up the boomerang.  He trudged 3 blocks to the mailbox at the end of the street and dropped the package in. 

“So long, ‘Amazing Boomerang’.” He said. “Goodbye and good riddance.  I guess I’ll have to get my revenge some other way.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment